Cartersville, GA – July 11, 2016 – The Bartow History Museum welcomes Historic Preservationist Ron Goss to its Lunch and Learn series on July 20th at noon. Goss will talk about the origins and early history of the First National Bank building located at 34 W. Main Street. In addition, he will discuss the reason(s) for its appearance change during the 1960’s as well as its transition from bank to offices. Join us on the 20th as Goss wraps up his talk by discussing the current project underway to help return this building to a place of grandeur.
The lecture is free to museum members and included with the price of admission for not-yet-members. For more information on this and other museum programs, call 770-382-3818, ext. 6288 or visit our website at www.bartowhistorymuseum.org.
About Ron Goss
Cartersville residence Ron Goss, Jr. has long had affection for Georgia’s downtowns and their historic properties. While restoring 103 W. Main Street in Cartersville for his office in the mid 1990’s, a path began to be carved out that would lead to a change in career and the opportunity to be involved hands on in historic restoration and preservation. As owner of Pennant Construction Management, Ron has overseen over fifty historic projects in communities such as Cartersville, Rome, Calhoun, and Chickamauga. Five of those projects were awarded the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation’s “Excellence in Rehabilitation” awards including Calhoun’s Gem Theatre, Rome’s Curry & West Buildings, and Cartersville’s Bradley Building, White Columns and the 1869 Bartow County Court House. In 2009, Ron joined the company of the Savannah College of Art and Design, the Callaway Foundation and NewTown Macon when the Georgia Cities Foundation awarded him with their prestigious “Renaissance Award” for his significant contribution to the revitalization of one or more of Georgia’s cities. Ron serves the preservation community as a board member for the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation and as a member of the Cartersville Historic Preservation Commission. Ron and his wife Lorie are the parents to three children and reside at White Columns, an 1876 Greek Revival located at 120 W. Cherokee Avenue in Cartersville.
About Bartow History Museum
The Bartow History Museum, located at 4 East Church Street in downtown Cartersville, Georgia, documents the history of northwest Georgia’s Bartow County, spanning more than 200 years since the Cherokee were the area’s primary residents. Artifacts, photographs, documents, and a variety of interactive permanent exhibits tell the story of settlement, Cherokee life and removal, Civil War strife, and lifestyles of years past. The Bartow History Museum also provides a variety of educational opportunities for adults, children, families, and school groups. Our extensive archives and research library contains photographs, documents, newspapers, rare books, genealogy records, oral history interviews, and more. For additional information, visit www.bartowhistorymuseum.org.