DDA Board Meeting Minutes
February 27, 2015
Board Members Present: Nancy Jackson, Earline Burke, Lara Jeanneret, Jim Ballew and Bill Chandler
Board Members Absent: Dan Kramer
Others Present: Dan Porta, Kasey Brown, Hollie Duncan and Tara Currier
Meeting was called to order by Nancy Jackson. Nancy asked if everyone had reviewed the January meeting minutes. Earline made a motion to approve; Lara seconded; all voted in favor.
Financial Report: Tara shared the working budget to date. Though over in Professional Services lines, legal fees and building and grounds, revenues from special events offset much of the Professional Services items. Dan Porta suggested that Tara contact Gloria Graham in accounting to review the bills from Archer & Lovell and see what, exactly, has been charged to DDA.
B.I.D.: Earline shared that as she and Tara were working on the Report of Authority Finances due to DCA, an error in the B.I.D. beginning balance was noted. The beginning balance reflects the July 1, 2013, balance, not the July 1, 2014, balance. The July 1, 2014, beginning B.I.D. balance should be $86, 902, meaning the ending fund balance is $87,943, versus $71,381.17 reflected on the Monthly Financial Report. Tara will follow up with City CFO to correct this typo.
• Jim shared his desire to establish block captains.
• Earline shared that though the committee did not meet in February, she has been working on the Art Market Ordinance, and plans to get with Tara soon on creating an application to accept art/craft vendors in conjunction with the Cartersville Farmer’s Market. Also, Anthony with Trees Unlimited has been contacted and will be pruning all the trees in the planters downtown within the next few weeks.
• Lara reviewed the minutes from the most recent Promotions Committee meeting, which were provided to board members. Highlights included that the new, event rack cards are completed; coloring sheets have been distributed to downtown restaurants and other businesses; and the Bluegrass Festival Committee is off to a good start.
• Tara shared that the May First Friday sponsor has pulled out due to uncertainty of use of Friendship Plaza (because of new pavilion construction), and Fire House Gallery.
D. Economic Development:
• Bill shared that though the committee did not meet in February, there are two new members: Kathy Hall, of the Cartersville-Bartow County Chamber of Commerce, and Saunders Jones, III, of Century Bank of Georgia. Also, the committee meeting time has been changed to 4 PM on the first Wednesday of each month.
Other Committee Reports:
Tara shared committee minutes from the Cartersville Farmer’s Market Advisory Committee and Cartersville Bluegrass & Folk Festival Committee. Also, in regard to the Bluegrass Festival, Robert Loehr has confirmed to be the Vehicle Sponsor for the 2015 event.
A. Annual Meeting – Awards: The awards for the annual banquet have been ordered. Tara is following up with award recipients to ensure their presence at the event.
B. Removal of Downtown Time Limit Parking Signs: Tara shared that a memo regarding the board’s desire to remove all downtown, time limit parking signs, except for two areas of 15 minute limited parking, was shared with Mayor and Council on February 19. No questions were asked. Dan Porta will work on a draft of the ordinance, which will need to be reviewed by other Department Heads and City Manager for comments, before adding to Council agenda.
A. Wyoming Main Street Visit/Board Assignments: Tara shared the draft of the schedule for the Wyoming Main Street visit on March 28. All board members are asked to participate and lead small group tours.
B. Pavilion: An official vote to approve the contract with Ron Goss, Jr. of Pennant Construction to oversee the construction of the pavilion in Friendship Plaza was taken. Bill Chandler motioned for the approval; Earline seconded; and all voted in favor. Ron has reviewed the proposals from the two architects which submitted for the job. Bill motioned to approve Jim Haigler; Lara seconded; and all voted in favor. A contract with Jim Haigler will be drafted and will need to be submitted to City Council, as the contract with Ron was, since the project is on City property.
C. Approval of Retreat Minutes: The minutes from Josephine Kelly, who led the board retreat on February 6, were shared with the board. Earline made a motion to approve the minutes; Bill seconded; and all voted in favor.
D. Other: Kasey Brown of Fusion Dance Company walked into meeting, and Nancy asked that she address the board. Kasey has booked the Grand Theatre for two performances on Saturday, June 6, and requested that no car show, or other event, be allowed to reserve Founder’s Oak parking lot. Lara shared that there was concern in setting a precedent for allowing downtown businesses to reserve parking for special events, but that if Kasey was willing to have an event that day, she could of course complete the Special Event Application to reserve that parking lot for that day.
E. Board Appointment: Those who sat in on interviews discussed each board applicant with the rest of the directors. All applicants were well qualified and will be great assets to the DDA. Lara motioned to recommend Maureen Kirkland; Bill seconded; and all voted in favor. Board members then discussed reaching out to all other applicants to get them involved on other committees of the board.
– In discussing board appointments, Lara suggested that on the application, verbiage be added reflecting that board consideration will be given precedent to those who have participated on Main Street Committees and/or shown some other interest in the DDA.
– It was recommended that election of officers be postponed until the March meeting, when the new board member could attend.
F. Discussion of Vision/Mission Statements: Nancy shared desire to review and update the vision and mission statements, which were last reviewed and approved May 16, 2013. Vision is the long term, while Mission is usually 1-3 years. Nancy will email the board members information, and all directors are asked to give thought to each/draft suggestions to discuss further at March meeting.
G. City/DDA Agreement: Tara shared a brief recap of the meeting with City Attorney and Finance Director, regarding the need for an Intergovernmental Agreement. Much discussion took place on what City vs. DDA could/should be responsible for moving forward. It was suggested that a meeting be set up with Mayor and Council to discuss this further. Tara will coordinate.
H. Reports: Tara briefly highlighted the staff reports.
I. Other Business: Tara shared an Opportunity Overview for advertising at LakePoint through an offer the CVB has given. For $5,460, DDA could purchase one,:10 second spot, per hour, on 11 scoreboards at LakePoint from March through August. Everyone agreed this was a good opportunity, and asked Tara to follow up with Ellen Archer to begin advertising immediately. Spots could be resold to downtown businesses to offset part of the expense.
– In discussion of CVB, Nancy and Earline suggested that a mixer be held with their board.
– Tara shared with the board that the Bank of America building is officially for sale.
ADJOURN: Next meeting – Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 8:30 AM.