Attendees: Nancy Jackson; Sheri Peeples; Mona Lewis; Jenny Gilbert; Brandi Walls; Linda Roth; Hollie Duncan; Cindy Smith; and Tara Currier
February Minutes Tara asked everyone review the minutes from February.
Items in Progress: – Flyer: Hollie shared the flyer she has created for the Farmer’s Market. These can be distributed anywhere vendors/committee members are able.
– Incentive Program for Shoppers: It was decided that Punch Cards, similar to what DDA does for downtown retailers, may be the best option. A card will be created with 20, $5 circles. For every $5 a shopper spends, the vendor will mark through one of the circles. Once the card has been filled (i.e. the shopper has spent $100 at the Farmer’s Market), s/he may turn the card in to one of the Advisory Committee members. A drawing will be held once per month. Vendors will be asked to donate one item each month for the basket.
– Meeting with Downtown Restaurants: Dozie and Tara will lead a meeting with downtown restaurants on Wednesday, April 15, at 2 PM. The purpose of the meeting is to try and get more participation from the restaurants at the Farmer’s Market, and discuss how restaurants may be able to purchase excess product from vendors.
Set Dates for Events:
– Zucchini Festival: Saturday, June 27th Categories to include: Biggest Zucchini; Most Unusual Zucchini; Best Zucchini Dish. OTHER IDEAS? Could also ask vendors to donate small zucchinis and allow kids to paint them; winner for “best decorated.”
– Tomato Festival: Saturday, July 25th Categories: Biggest Tomato; Ugliest Tomato; Prettiest (most vibrant color); Best Tasting. OTHER IDEAS? Will ask vendors to donate tomatoes, and DDA staff will provide bread and mayonnaise and make sandwiches.
– Friday, August 7, is “Buy Fresh, Buy Local” First Friday Vendors are encouraged to set up for this event.
– September Canning Demonstration. It was suggested Lisa Fowler be contacted regarding this and to set a date.
Other Items to Discuss? Tara inquired where the best location for porta potties would be. DDA board is considering renting a handicap unit and regular unit to be placed downtown for the duration of the Farmer’s Market season (June – September). Under the Bridge was deemed the best location.
Tara also asked that Advisory Committee help with the parking overflow rules. Vendors should only park outside of the Founder’s Oak parking area if there are NO remaining spaces in that lot.
In closing, Jenny suggested arranging a late April/early May plant sell. Tara will contact Paul Pugliese regarding this idea.
Meeting was adjourned. Next meeting, Thursday, April 23, 4 PM. Cartersville Train Depot.